Education Grants Explained

Individuals who are interested in career education programs may be eligible for career education grants to assist in the financial aspect of applying for a community college or technical school program.

If you have decided to enroll in a career education program but do not have the financial capacity to support your academic endeavors, there are several grant options you can choose from to receive the assistance you need.

There are educational grants available if you choose to pursue a conventional form of higher education through a university or state college.

However, there are numerous education grants geared towards those who are enrolling in a technical school program or community college program.

The U.S. Department of Education awards career education grants designed for students who are taking courses to pursue career goals and certification.

This information below will help you to determine your options and eligibility for these grant opportunities.

Types of Career Education Grants

Before you determine your eligibility and begin applying for career education grants, you will need learn the different types of grants available for you to choose from.

A grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid by the student. However, if you do not complete the career education program you have received grant assistance for, you will need to pay back the amount of the grant after leaving the program.

The amount you are awarded by a career education grant may also be reduced if you decide prior to beginning your courses that you want to be a part-time student instead of a full-time student.

You will be awarded less money from the grant if your student status changes after you have already been chosen to receive the grant money.

Students who have not completed a bachelor’s degree program or a graduate degree program can apply for a Federal Pell Grant awarded by the federal government.

A Federal Pell Grant can be awarded in a sum of up to $6,095 per award year to students selected for this opportunity.

Additional career education grants you can apply for as a community college student or technical school student include:

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are awarded to students at the undergraduate level who have not completed a bachelor’s program or a graduate program. If you are enrolling in a career education program at the community college level, you may be eligible for this grant. The school you are attending must be part of the FSEOG program for you to be awarded funds through this grant opportunity.
  • Vocational Education via Basic Grants to States are awarded to students who are enrolled in a Career and Technical Education Program. A portion of the funds awarded from these grants will go directly toward career and technical education programs run by schools within the state. However, the federal funds provided by these grants must be awarded to students who need financial assistance to complete a CTE program.

You will need to ensure you are searching for individually awarded career education grants to find the right opportunities for your financial situation.

There are grants available for Career and Technical Education Programs, but you will not be eligible for these opportunities as they are awarded to institutions specifically.

How to Qualify

After you have found a career education grant you can apply for you will need to determine your eligibility before submitting your application.

One of the main stipulations for each of the career education grants available is that you are an undergraduate student who has not completed a bachelors or graduate degree program.

For those of who wish to apply for the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) you will also need to ensure your school is part of the FSEOG Program to be considered eligible for application.

You can speak with a school advisor or representative to determine if your school is involved with the FSEOG program before applying for the FSEOG Grant.

You will need to be considered a student with significant financial need to be eligible for a career education grant. If you are employed full-time while you are working toward completion of a career education program you may be ineligible for grant assistance if you are making a significant amount of money at your job.

You will need to consult with stipulations provided by the federal government and the U.S. Department of Education to determine if you exceed the financial threshold for grant assistance.

If you are currently incarcerated in a state penal institution or a federal penal institution, you are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.

You are also ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant if you are subjected to involuntary civil commitments after completing a period of incarceration due to a forcible sexual offense or a non-forcible sexual offense.

How to Apply for Career Education Grants

Once you have verified your eligibility for a career education grant you can begin the process of submitting your application. You will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, form to determine whether you will be awarded a career education grant from the federal government.

You can choose to complete a printed form and mail it in or you can apply online for a quicker, more efficient process. If you have already enrolled in a career education program, you can also fill out your FAFSA application at the financial aid office of your technical school or community college.

Advisors at your school will be able to help you through the process if you are not comfortable with the idea of completing your FAFSA application on your own

You will need to provide accurate financial information on your FAFSA application to ensure you are eligible to receive a career education grant or Federal Pell Grant.

This may include your latest tax return or your parents’ tax return, depending on whether your parents include you as a dependent on their federal income taxes.

Additionally, you will need to reapply for grants each year you are enrolled in a career education program to continue to receive financial assistance until your degree or certification is completed.